Bonjour-India Festival, Krishnakriti Foundation
The Alliance Française of Hyderabad present
Thoranayudham – A Kudiyattam Performance
Margi Madhu (Troupe)
Kudiyattam (recognized by UNESCO as “one of the masterpieces of oral and intangible heritage of humanity”) is an ancient form of drama with an uninterrupted history of live performance in the Kerala temples over at least the last 1200 years.
Kudiyattam is an art form that is visually and emotionally overwhelming, intellectually engaging and tantalizing in terms of an analytical understanding of it’s complexities. It enacts many of the most beloved Sanskrit plays. This is a theatre of the imagination, with enormous scope for improvisation within the relatively flexible bounds set by the Sanskrit text and the expressive languages of the actor’s body, above all the hands and the eyes.
As the sole surviving form of classical Sanskrit drama in performance, Kudiyattam preserves elements that go back to the origins of Indian civilization. At the same time, Kudiyattam has innovated in ways that reflect the particular cultural matrix of medieval Kerala and it’s unique musical and ritual traditions.
On Friday, 8th January at 7 pm.
Venue: Shilparamam Amphi Theatre, Hi-Tech City Main Road, Madhapur, Hyderabad.
Entry by passes. Passes available at:
- Kalakriti Art Gallery: 468, Road No. 10, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad. Tel: 66564466
- Alliance Francaise: Street No. 6, Lane No. 1, Road No. 16, West Marredpally, Secunderabad. Tel: 27700734
- Landmark Stores: Somajiguda & Banjara Hills Road No. 12
- Access 2 Future Stores: Jubilee Hills, Banjara Hills, Kukatpally, Narayanguda and Tarnaka. Tel: 9391008397
- Goethe-Zentrum Hyderabad: Hillfort Road, Nampally, Hyderabad. Tel: 65526443.